Tuesday, August 2, 2011

I'll be your engine driver in a bunny suit, If you dress me up in pink and white, We may be just a little fuzzy 'bout it later tonight



She said:  Off we headed this weekend for an Oregon road trip adventure, destination my cousin’s wedding.  G had never been to Oregon before, so I was excited to show him around and introduce him to my family.  We hit the rode early (7:00 a.m.) thanks to G, and we only made two quick stops; determined to make it to King Estates Winery before the Albany River Rhythm’s concert at 7:00.  This was our first road trip together and the driving time flew by.   We took in the beautiful scenery of Shasta.  We played the license plate game. We sang to Counting Crows, and I am still amazed that we both know essentially every song and every lyric of this band.  The only time G and I get a bit tense during road trip adventures are when GPS, directions, and finding destinations are involved.  I admit I am incredibly directionally challenged and G is a bit stubborn.  He hates the GPS, and I can’t live with out it.  Google maps on the phone is unreliable because service often goes out.  I believe in stopping when lost and asking for directions; G, not so much and would rather back track.  So what is a couple to do:  conflicting  direction-finding beliefs, finding destinations on windy roads, missing signs that are barely visible, and knowing no specific landmarks?  We try to be patient.  We get really quiet.  I send a few prayers up.  And in the end we succeed, albeit I am usually frazzled and sweating profusely.  We hug it out and move forward.

G Said:


I never want a GPS.  You know how they say "never say never"?  Well, I'm saying never.


We all have personality quirks.  Maybe you can't leave the house without your lucky hat; or maybe whenever you eat peas and mashed potatoes, you don't like your food to touch.  I, for one, genuinely dislike the sound of robot navigation.  And you can argue with me all you want about how you can change the sex and nationality of the voice to something more exciting or pleasing...that doesn't change the fact that I've gotta sit there and be bossed around by this device when there's a perfectly good person (in this case, She) in the car with me (and I would MUCH rather listen to her).  My sister has one of these.  She changed the narration to the eastern European guy and has since named her GPS "Gustav."  Because of proximity, my encounters with Gustav have been limited, but let me tell you that he has all the technological abilities of an old Soviet spy satellite.  He'll send you down the wrong exit, or the wrong way up a one-way (which actually happened to She and I this weekend), but he'll get you there....with enough patience.


Please refer above where She calls me stubborn.  She could not be more accurate.


I enjoy a puzzle and a chase.  I'm a problem-solver by nature and, given a few ideas, can usually figure things out and don't want to be fed an answer when I'm so so close.  So what does that tell you about me?  That I'm a man.  I'm fully aware that, like, 95% of our current readership is female and I'm setting myself up for all kinds of comments and eye-rolls; however, I'm standing by character traits.  Feel free to call me a "typical male" down below this post, but remember that I give out bonus points for originality.


If our biggest issue is the handling of directions white driving, I think She and I are doing pretty well.  Like she said, she's more the "stop and ask" type, while I'm more the type to take in my surroundings and seek something out.  But that works!  We always get to where we want to go.  So in it's own bizarre way, the universe works itself out.  And you know what?  Driving is a very small part of life; and with the right company, it can still be a good time (even in a stressful situation).


Now, if you wanted to get me this kind of droid-navigation, I wouldn't be opposed.


Oh and one final picture from the end of our road trip day.  We made it to the gas station just in time.



What is your couple style regarding driving and directions?

5 comments:

  1. During any road trip I'm the DJ and Joe is the driver. It's best if we stick to our assigned jobs. No good comes from either of us "helping" the other :)
    Also, I call my navigation "Navigation Nancy" and quite honestly I find her to be unhelpful most of the time and I suspect a little but of a trouble maker.
    Happy trails She and G.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love how you say "assigned jobs" that is great and Dj of the road trip is by far the best job! Thanks for commenting and reading it means so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you're looikng to buy these articles make it way easier.

    ReplyDelete
  4. опера мини бесплатная
    [url=http://operamini-ru.net/]опера мини для nokia[/url]

    ReplyDelete
  5. swiss army mechanical wind up watches [url=http://replicabrands.org/catalog/item/3295/ice-link-ambassador-3295.html]replica watches ratings[/url]
    fake replica oakley watches judge 2
    [url=http://replicabrands.org/]cheap replica fake watches[/url]

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...